Twitter has today released an update to their official iPhone and iPod touch iOS app which brings a number of new features, improvements and fixes to the client. The app has a new design, as well as better search functionality, including the extremely useful ‘Username autocomplete’ function when searching for a user. The software also has additional language support and push notifications for retweets, favorites and new followers. The changelog for the updated app is below:
- Updated design and improved relevance of Discover stories
- Activity in Discover tab shows who your connections follow, updates to their lists and which tweets they retweet and favorite
- Spelling suggestions and related searches for search results in Discover tab
- Recent searches shown when selecting search box in Discover tab
- Username autocomplete and go-to-user when searching in Connect tab
- New push notifications for when your tweets have been retweeted or favorited or when you have new followers
- New language support: Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Polish
There are no changes to the iPad app thus far and it has not been revealed when any of the new features will make it to the device. One particular update that has been called for repeatedly is for the Twitter client on multiple iOS devices or a Mac to save an recognise which tweets a user has read, and enable smooth switching between devices without having to re-read tweets.
UPDATE: …and the iPad update has been released.