The iPad was launched a few months ago and a jailbreak for OS 3.2 has been around for a bit. Should you break through the barriers and jailbreak this bitch? Here are some pros and cons.
1. It’s, like, the easiest, like, thing, like, to do, like, ever. All you have to do is download the Spirit jailbreak and follow the instructions. Even my mum could do it and she can’t text for shit.
2. Once done, you can run Cydia and you have access to all the great apps that portal has to offer. These include small mods so that you can instantly adjust brightness or connectivity etc. or larger mods where you can enable multitasking without having to wait for the new iOS4 to be released for iPads sometime in the fall.
3. You can get dodgy apps for free – if that’s your thing. What I mean by that is that you can download pirated versions of apps and install them. Because the iPad apps from the app store tend to me more expensive, this can be appealing. However, I discourage it.
4. Status bar notifier – Google it. Most awesome iPhone Cydia app ever has now been translated to the iPad. This is something that Apple really needs to grab hold of.
5. You can always restore if you have any problems like instability or errors. But before you do this you are able to respring or do a soft restart on your iPad which will usually do the trick.
1. There is a teeny tiny chance of buggering up your lovely iPad. A very small chance but it is there.
2. You void the warranty. If you have problems with the iPad you can’t just take it to the Genius Bar as they’ll laugh and throw it back at you.
3. You will have less stability with your software. From personal experience with an iPhone, this isn’t too bad but some apps can cause your iPhone / iPad to hang. Fortunately, a respring normally sorts this out and the app developers have built in safety controls.
4. Bear in mind that while some of the apps on the Cydia store are awesome, a lot were rejected from the Apple App Store for one reason or another.
I’m leaving mine virgin until iOS4 is released. It’ll be braw!